Calling all volunteers:
|Frog gave notice: gone someplace wetter!|
Please note: It is not possible right now to quote an hourly exchange ( $/veg/hr) because of the crisis-level of help needed in garden. Right now everything depends on getting help in weeding, mulching and keeping it watered. Otherwise the harvest will be short-lived. So say you volunteered for 3 hours ....you can take home a small box of veggies that are available. The selection is what is available that day, and of course 4 hours = bigger box. Does that sound fair? It is obviously dependent on what is available. We should talk & confirm the night before you come to make it realistic. Please do let me know your decision so we can plan the days forward.
If you are still interested below is a list of the "veggies du jour" available for picking most days or in the evenings as well most times. Weeding, watering and new winter garden going in - all dependent on resources here. Photos show a couple of projects in process:
|Preparing Hoop House for Winter Garden|
|Chx new nest (modeled after bread oven)|
The GOOD NEWS IS*
See https://www.adaptiveseeds.com/product-category/winter-varieties *Andrew & Sarah are a young couple planting & growing varieties and diverse plantings on 25 acres near here to grow out the open pollinated, safe, and adapted to our very own area. So at the least you can use this to identify, get incredible info/images on this site, and enjoy the seeds/plants you might be interested in....plus support them by buying their seed for the comfort of knowing growing food that is SAFE to eat!
***It is so great to be a "steward" for some of their seed and incredible Garlic! Hoping to do ongoing winter garden demo here from now til mid September.
Veggies etc. du Jour: +++++offering potted perennials, medicinals and plants to enjoy if you come & pick or help in any way - will also help you build & populate your own ecosystem: water garden (small pond) if you help here and you would like a pond!
The bees have been busy!!!!!!!!
- some small tomatoes
- patty pan squash yellow - getting to giant size - a few new each day
- zucchini a few new each day
- green beans - one more picking?
- lots of kale & chard -several varieties available
- some small lettuce favorites - micro greens mostly
- cucumbers - lemon and Armenian cukes
- tiny broccoli heads - second growth
- Oregano freshly picked & dried
- Chives, oregano, sage, rosemary, thyme, tarragon, lavender, fresh, and cuttings from
- other: cuttings and potted borage, calendula, sedum & succulents, lilies, cat mint (nip), other plants & tons of water lettuce & pond plants - please do take some! I am short on onions & peppers, no carrots, eggplant, leeks or cabbage I am sorry to say.
- in the future: scarlet runner beans, beefsteak tomatoes......
- + fresh eggs
P.S. if you can't do the physical work, and want to see a "wish list" for the site, please email or leave a message....there is a list available.